Monday, February 5, 2018

Training your Pyr

How to Train a Monster

Rufus aka "Monster"
"He had already been nicknamed "monster puppy" before he even arrived at my house.  7 months old and 80 pounds he was a puppy of monstrous proportion.  It was shortly after coming to me as a foster that I realized the name "Monster" might stick because he was also behaving like one.

I'm fairly sure I rolled my eyes during my conversation with his surrendering owner-mouthing, chewing, relentless play.  Our rescue had heard it all before.  Big, cute, fluffy Pyrenees puppy becomes adolescent and no one can be bothered anymore.  'Don't worry' I said.  'I'm a trainer, we'll be fine.'  You know what they say about Karma and how pride comes before the fall;  it was my first of many lessons in humility that Monster would teach me.  Within days of his arrival I was made keenly aware of my arrogance.

As a trainer, there are some things I do really well.  I know how to manage a situation and environment to help a dog be successful.  Consistency, routine, clear expectations, positive reinforcement, mental and physical exercise are my strengths.  And none of it was working.  On our walks he would get easily worried or overstimulated.  Grass was a trigger.  Try walking through a neighborhood avoiding grass!  For Monster, overstimulated meant running across the lawn, diving onto it head first, then turning around with a glimmer in his eye and flying at me, grabbing my arms and growling.  My only recourse was to drag him, still attached to my arms, to the nearest tree, wrap the leash around it, extract myself, step back and wait for him to calm down.  Until the next lawn.  I came home in tears every time with bruised arms and torn clothes.  Play time in the yard wasn't much better and he was a terror in the house.  I have never used a prong collar, choke chain or shock collar on a dog, and I certainly wasn't going to, but I finally understood the impulse, because things were unbearable.  Lesson two in humility and a fair amount of shame.





It was clear I was in way over my head.  So, after quite literally picking myself up off the ground, I rallied the troops.  If I didn't have the skill to help him, I would use whatever financial and professional resources I had to try to find a solution.   Stop one was my supervisor at the Humane Society, the head of the training department.  A very tough conversation brought home the fact that if we didn't find a way to get this under control and help him learn how to better manage himself, he wouldn't be adoptable.  His life was very much at risk.  We left with a new plan for training and management and a sense of urgency.  Lesson three in humility - we were his last chance.

Next stop was the vet.  With the help of medication we were hoping we could reduce his level of anxiety and overstimulation to allow his brain to settle and training to take effect.  It was not a decision made lightly.  The final step was a five day board and stay with my good friend and dog trainer.  I needed an emotional break and a chance to reset myself.  I also needed a more experienced trainer to give me a realistic evaluation of his behavior and opportunity for success.  Jamie at SitStayFit provided that for me, gave me the first glimmer of home, and truly changed the trajectory of his path.  Lesson four in humility - I couldn't do it alone.

Then, it started to happen.  Very slowly there was progress.  I can't say it was any one thing that made the difference.  Medication helped him settle his brain a little.  Board and train gave him the skills to walk successfully and be out in the world.  A healthy kick-in-the-pants kind of  pep talk from a trusted friend also gave me the encouragement I needed to believe I did actually have what it took to help him.  In small increments he became less Monster and more mythical creature.  The name "Monster" itself became more of a term of endearment then anything.  I was mesmerized by his transformation.  Lesson five - have faith and hold onto it against the odds.


Rufus and Natalie
This weekend, almost five months after coming to me, Monster was adopted.  I am overjoyed at his chance for a long, happy life.  His adoptive family talked with me for hours, heard his whole story, and committed to loving him.  They waited a month to find the right time to bring him home.  I think they will ultimately be rewarded with a joyful, loving big, and gorgeous companion.  This week they sent me photos of him playing with new puppy friends and lounging on the couch.  I couldn't ask for much more.  Lesson six - there are good people in the world.

My heart is full and yet there is a Monster sized hole there too.  I was humbled every day I spent with him, but there were so many other lessons too.  Monster helped me find my physical, emotional, and professional boundaries.  Then he helped me stretch them.  He has made me a better trainer, owner, teacher and person.  I will never be the same.

The story of Monster and his transformation also wouldn't be complete without talking about my partner who loved him unconditionally, even when I couldn't.  He cared for him every day, and built an incredible relationship of patience and trust.  He never doubted Monster's spirit or potential.  He never doubted mine either."  

Natalie Wolf
Certified Professional Dog Trainer

1 comment:

  1. Another amazing story of perseverance and heart Natalie. Congratulations on another canine life transformed, and no doubt, Monster will have quite a journey ahead.

    ReplyDelete